Roger Federer is to return to competition at Doha Open on the court after a year

Roger Federer is to return to competition at Doha Open on the court after a year


Tennis stalwart Roger Federer suffered a knee injury back in 2020 that sidelined him for a year and saw him get operated twice.

Former world number one Roger Federer said on Friday he was excited to return to competitive tennis at next week’s Qatar Open after a year-long absence.

The 20-time Grand Slam champion has not played a tournament since his Australian Open semi-final exit against Novak Djokovic last year, undergoing two knee surgeries since.

“Here we are, about to take off to fly to Doha. It’s been a year since my last event,” Federer, 39, said in a video posted on his Twitter feed.

Federer is set to return to the court in Doha next week at the Qatar Open - currently held by Novak Djokovic, the very man Federer played his last match against.

Having been out of the running for a year, the 39-year-old is set to be out of the ATP top five, ample motivation for him to add to his 20 Grand Slam titles. To add fuel to the fire, as of Monday, Djokovic will surpass Federer's record of 310 weeks in the world number one ranking.

“I can tell I’m very excited… it’s been a long and hard road. I know I’m not at the finish line yet but it’s good, I feel I’m in a good place, I’ve been practising very well and I just feel really pumped up.”

The Doha Open starts on Monday.