London's 2021 Pride parade cancelled as hosts say they can't meet Covid rules

London's 2021 Pride parade cancelled as hosts say they can't meet Covid rules


This year’s Pride in London parade has been cancelled because of social-distancing measures, organisers have announced.

More than 35,000 people had been expected to attend the flagship LGBT+ event, which had been postponed from June to 11 September.

Executive director Christopher Joell-Deshields said risk assessments had

London's Pride parade has been cancelled for the second year in a row due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The event was due to take place on Saturday September 11, but will not be going ahead this year.

Organisers have said the event cannot be made to meet the current coronavirus requirements.

The announcement follows the decision to cancel Brighton & Hove Pride earlier in the year, with that event due to have taken place this month.

Last year an unofficial Pride gathering took place at Clapham Common in London and saw dozens of people enjoy drinks in the sunshine.

The Met Police had attended the 'unlicensed music event' and were dispersing those in attendance.

Executive director Christopher Joelle-Deshields in a video message explaining why London's Pride had been cancelled said: "It became clear when going through the final risk assessments that our event could not provide the level of mitigation needed expected from the local public health team or the government.

"It would have meant losing the crucial parade and reducing the event to two or three stages across central London with limited tickets.

"This goes against everything we want Pride in London to be, or that we have been so far.

"No parade, no protest means no Pride."